Respite for Carers in Wandsworth
Respite Care – What is available?
This service is designed to enable Carer to take short breaks away from their caring role by providing respite care hours. Carers who are eligible can access up to a maximum of 52 hours of planned respite care in a nine month period. Carers may choose to use the 52 hours flexibly within the 9 month period and this will be negotiated in advance between the Carer and Carers Partnership Wandsworth. Once the Carer has used their allocation they may not register to use the service again until the 10th month after they started to use their allocated hours.
The service will be accessible 24 hours a day seven days per week for delivery, although referrals will only be accepted between 9.30 and 5.30 Monday to Friday.
Who is this service for?
- This service is for Carers who live in the borough of Wandsworth or who are registered with a *Wandsworth GP and where the person they care for lives in the borough of Wandsworth.
- This service is targeted at those Carers with little support available from other sources e.g. Carers without family and close friends or where family and friends are unable to help due to issues such as distance, work, family or other commitments.
- Carers need a break
- The cared for person cannot be left alone for periods of time
- Carers are under particular stress
- Short-term additional stress e.g. temporary loss of support while a family member or friend is on holiday/unavailable
- Short-term support is required while other support systems are put in place
How Do I Access the Service?
If, having read this leaflet, you think you might be eligible to use the service please contact Wandsworth Carers’ Centre on 020 8877 1200 or email email@example.com
Once you have contacted us we will make an initial appointment to see you to talk about your needs and the needs of the person you care for. If you are eligible to access the service we will then arrange to meet you in the home of the person you care for. This allows us to assess more fully the needs of the person you care for and to agree the details of the service that may be provided.
If following assessment we are able to meet your needs we will then agree the final details such as when the service will begin and arrange for you to meet the people who will be providing the respite?
What else do I need to know?
- Booking – Carers will need to book respite a minimum of 2 weeks in advance.
- Cancellation – Carers will need to give 48 hours notice of cancellation. If less notice is received the hours that were due to be delivered on that occasion will be deducted from your allocation.
- Cost – This service is free to Carers.
- Waiting List – There are a limited number of hours available in this service and if we have allocated all available hours you will be placed on a waiting list until more hours are released.
Prior receipt of the service will be considered when allocating hours to Carers.
- Unused Hours – Unused hours may not be carried over. If you have not used your allocated hours by the end of the nine month period these hours will be lost to you.
How you can help Carers
Please access this service responsibly as it is a limited service (hours per year?) and we wish to ensure that it is allocated equitably so that Carers who are most in need can access this support.
Please note this service is not designed to take the place of respite that may be available through Social Services
*To check if your doctor is a member of Wandsworth CCG please go HERE or call 020 8812 6600. Alternatively you can ask us to check for you.